Raising Non-Materialistic Kids in Idaho
There are some great advantages to raising your kids in Idaho. I think it is ever kids dream to have space to ride their bikes, dig holes, treasure hunt in their backyard, etc. However, it's 2016 and as American's we are obsessed with "things". We have been trained that the more "things" we have the better. And the more "things" our kids have the better parents we are. Right?
Research has shown that kids who grow up privileged are more likely to become depressed, sad, addicted, etc. The reason for this is because typically if kids are given materialistic items all their lives, their parents usually aren't around to spend quality time with them because they are busy making money to provide all their "things".
I will take all the tips I can get my hands on when it comes to raising kids. Recently, I found ways to raise a non-materialistic kid. In my words here are the 6 tips Seedtime suggested:
- Don't be obsessed with materialistic things - If you have to have the best so will your kids.
- Play with your kids- This is harder than it sounds because we are plugged into our jobs 24/7 and there is always house work to be done.
- You don't have to give your kids "the best Christmas ever" - research shows your kids will remember the things they did with you on Christmas, like baking cookies or making ornaments, before they will remember what you bought them.
- Teach them how to save and how to spend money - make them save for the toy they want, or start a savings account with them.
- Support a family or child in need - this can be as simple as filling food boxes at The Salvation Army. Teach them that not all kids are raised in the kind of environment they are raised in.
- Take Your Kids to The Twin Falls Transfer Station. - Let them see all the garbage that is thrown away. This should help you explain why they don't need ever toy because eventually they all end up in the dump anyway.
Raising kids is hard. My true belief is, if you care about them more than yourself you are doing it right. Let me know if you agree with the above tips. I'd love to have your opinion!