Are Idaho Homes Clean or Dirty? How Often to Clean These Things in the House
Recently, I had a chance to catch up on some house chores that had been neglected. While scrubbing the shower with apathy, I pondered. ‘How often do I have to do this, really?’ I hounded my children and was pestered by my parents, as I am sure they were badgered by theirs, about different chores to be done on a regular basis.
But how often do I have to do these chores? Is there a scientific method to this madness, or is it just because parents said so throughout history?
- Toilet - Even if not in use, the toilet should be flushed at least once per day, a quick wipe down of the toilet and surrounding area along with the sink once per week, and a deep clean no less than every two weeks. I didn’t know I’m supposed to clean the tank twice per year. Add that to changing the batteries in the fire alarms on the ‘spring forward, fall back’ schedule.
- Bathtubs and showers - Can go every two weeks, depending on usage. Okay, that’s one thing I can cut back on. There are only 3 of us in the house now, and 2 bathrooms. But the shower curtain needs washing more than whenever I feel like it.
- Towels - Need changing every 3 days or less? Well, that means more laundry. Adding more to the list, not less.
- Bedsheets - Once per week seems to be the rule here. Even though I shower at night, my spouse does not. Hair oils and skin sluffing apply. Ew.
- Dryer lint trap - Every time. Seriously? Every time? I like to wait 2 or 3 loads so the lint pulls out in 2 big chunks.
- Refrigerator - A spill here or there gets addressed immediately, but the fridge is supposed to get a wipe-down every 3 to 4 months. I do this once per year in the downtime between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- Floor - Ha! I got one. Barring a large spill once per week is a go-to in our house.
Oven: Well, nobody’s perfect, right? Mine gets cleaned when there’s a spill. Then it gets a good deep cleaning when another big mess comes along.
- Microwave - Experts say once per week. This usually gets done about once a month at our house. I’m sure less at work.
- Vacuum - Since there are only carpets in the bedroom, once a month seems appropriate. But that is not the case. Once a week or even more frequently. Sigh.
- Washing - I win. I clean my carpets every 6 months including the area rug in the living room. I’m ahead of the curve. Well, for cleaning carpets anyway.
It would appear that my upbringing was lax on cleaning upkeep. Since I relaxed the rules I was taught, my family has evidently developed a very strong immune system. Only the strongest bacteria can make us sick anymore. So, my cleaning habits have begun to turn us into superheroes, or villains. Time will tell.