Are You Colorblind? Take The Test and Find Out
Apparently there's a sailboat in this image. For the life of me, I can't see anything. It looks like a bunch of random, jumbled up circles. If you can see the sailboat, good for you! If you can't, like me, that means you're probably have some form of colorblindness.
I'm not exactly colorblind, as I can still see colors, but I am red/green color deficient. When I see reds and greens I commonly get them confused with other colors. Reds look black, and greens look gray and brown. I had to ask my four year old son Jack what color my shirt was the other day. He just rolled his eyes and helped daddy get dressed.
I haven't always been color deficient either. I remember passing the colorblindness tests in school. My sister and I both suffer from a type of macular degeneration that is slowly stripping our ability to see colors.
So what happens if you don't see the sailboat above? Nothing to worry about. While sort of annoying, colorblindness is easy to live with... assuming you don't have a spouse that likes to play pranks with your wardrobe.
Here are a few facts about colorblindness you may not know:
- 99% of all colorblind people are not really color blind but color deficient.
- Color blindness is more prevalent among males than females, because the most common form of color vision deficiency is encoded on the X sex chromosome.
- Strongly colorblind people might only be able to tell about 20 hues apart from each other, with normal color vision this number raises to more than 100 different hues.
- Ishihara plates are the best known color blindness tests, but they are not the most accurate ones.
- A father can’t pass his red-green color blindness on to his sons.
- Dogs are not colorblind.
- If a woman is red-green colorblind, all her sons will also be colorblind.
- In certain countries you need normal color vision to get a drivers license.
- There is no treatment or cure for color blindness.
If you couldn't see the sailboat, the next step is to contact your opthamologist and schedule an eye exam. There's a whole host of tests that have to be completed to see how colorblind you may or may not be.
You can take an online Colorblindness Test right here.