Union Pacific’s “Living Legend” Will Steam Through the Magic Valley
TWIN FALLS, Idaho (KLIX) ,The famous "Living Legend" locomotive No. 844 is headed to Idaho this spring. Union Pacific announced plans for the 1,600 mile journey from Wyoming to Boise, Idaho, beginning on April 18.
The steam locomotive will help celebrate the Boise Depot's 92nd anniversary the weekend of April 22nd. The engine will make several stops along the way including a couple in the Magic Valley. According to the Union Pacific schedule, No. 844 will make a stop in Minidoka on Friday, April 21 a little after 9 a.m. Union Pacific says the schedule is subject to change. A stop is also scheduled in Gooding Later that morning.
On the return trip a stop is planned in Shoshone on April, 24, after 11 a.m., with another stop in Minidoka later in the day. The whole journey is expected to take 11 days through Wyoming, Idaho and Utah. For the full tentative schedule see below▼ The Idaho stops are highlighted in RED. Union Pacific has provided a special page for the journey so people can monitor No. 844 as it makes its way out west, find it HERE.
Also, No. 844 went through a major restoration and just recently got back on the rails. See the process here
- Tuesday, April 18
- 9:45-10:15 a.m. MT, 1st & Kearney St. in Laramie, Wyo.
- 11:30 a.m.- Noon MT, McFadden Rd. Crossing in Medicine Bow, Wyo.
- 1:10-1:45 p.m. MT, 200 W. Front Street in Rawlins, Wyo.
- 2:35-3:15 p.m. MT, Broadway & Boyd St. in Wamsutter, Wyo.
- 4:45 p.m. MT, 501 S. Front St. in Rock Springs, Wyo.
- Wednesday, April 19
- 8:45-9:15 a.m. MT, N. 3rd & Railroad Ave. in Green River, Wyo.
- 10-10:30 a.m. MT, Main St. Crossing in Granger, Wyo.
- 11:30-12 p.m. MT, 720 Lignite St. in Kemmerer, Wyo.
- 1:30-2 p.m. MT, 12th & Washington St. in Montpelier, Idaho
- 2:45-3:15 p.m. MT, Main St. Crossing in Soda Springs, Idaho
- 4:45 p.m. MT, UP rail yard near N. Harrison Ave. & Omaha St. in Pocatello, Idaho
- Thursday, April 20
- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. MT, all-day display, N. Harrison Ave. & Omaha in Pocatello, Idaho
- Friday, April 21
- 9:25 -9:55 a.m. MT, County Rd. Crossing in Minidoka, Idaho
- 11:25 a.m. MT, Oregon St. Crossing in Gooding, Idaho
- Saturday, April 22
- 11-11:30 a.m. MT, Commercial St. Crossing in Glenns Ferry, Idaho
- 4:20 p.m. MT, Boise Depot, 2063 W. Eastover Terrace, Boise, Idaho
- Sunday, April 23
- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. MT, all-day display, 2063 W. Eastover Terrace, Boise, Idaho
- Monday, April 24
- 11:15-11:45 a.m. MT, Commercial St. Crossing in Glenns Ferry, Idaho
- 1-1:30 p.m. MT, Apple St. Crossing in Shoshone, Idaho
- 3-3:30 p.m. MT, County Crossing near Broadway & Cherry St. in Minidoka, Idaho
- Tuesday, April 25
- 10-10:30 a.m. MT, Hwy 23 & W. 5600 North in Cache Jct., Idaho
- 11:30 a.m.-12:01 p.m. MT, Forest St. Crossing in Brigham City, Utah
- 1:15 p.m. MT, Ogden Depot, 2501 W. Wall Ave. in Ogden, Utah
- Wednesday, April 26
- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. MT, all-day display, Ogden Depot, Ogden, Utah
- Thursday, April 27
- 10:15-10:45 a.m. MT, 10th St. Depot in Evanston, Wyo.
- 12:15-12:45 p.m. MT, Main St. Crossing in Granger, Wyo.
- 1:30-2 p.m. MT, 200 E. Railroad Ave. in Green River, Wyo.
- Friday, April 28
- 9:45-10:15 a.m. MT, Broadway & Boyd St. in Wamsutter, Wyo.
- 11:15-11:45 a.m. MT, 200 W. Front St. in Rawlins, Wyo.
- 1-1:30 p.m. MT, McFadden Rd. Crossing in Medicine Bow, Wyo.
- 2:45-3:15 p.m. MT, 1st & Kearney St. in Laramie, Wyo.