Fatal Motorcycle Accident In Southern Idaho on Saturday Night
Friday evening, the Idaho State Police responded to a single-vehicle fatality accident near the Idaho and Oregon border. The accident happened around 8:39 PM on Saturday, August 12 at the I-84 offramp exit for New Plymouth.
State Police are Investigating a Fatal Motorcycle Accident in Southern Idaho
Idaho State Police reported the following:
A 60-year-old male of Caldwell was driving a 1988 Harley Davidson motorcycle westbound on I-84. The motorcyclist was riding at a high rate of speed when he attempted to exit at milepost 13 using the off ramp. He lost control and drove off the left shoulder where the motorcycle came to rest. The male succumbed to his injuries at the scene.
The rider was not wearing a helmet.
The offramp where the accident happened was closed for 2 and a half hours.
New Plymouth is located in Payette County with a population of only 1,538 (as of the latest census). The city is only a few miles from the Oregon border.
RELATED STORY: Juvenile Killed In Car VS Train Accident In Payette County
There have been 2 fatality accidents in the Payette County area in August. The most recent is mentioned in the story above and the other was a juvenile killed in a car vs train accident on August 8th.
How Many Motorcycle Fatalities In Idaho This Summer
The following accidents involving motorcycles were reported by ISP on their blog between June 1st and today. Only 2 of the 11 were not fatality accidents:
- 8/12 New Plymouth - Motorcycle Driver Killed
- 8/7 Lewiston - Motorcycle Driver Injured
- 8/4 Post Falls - Motorcycle Driver Killed (accident happened 7/29)
- 8/3 Jerome - Motorcycle Driver Killed
- 7/28 Caldwell - Motorcycle Driver Killed
- 7/26 Rexburg - Motorcycle Driver Injured
- 7/21 Cascade - Motorcycle Driver Killed
- 7/18 Lewiston - Motorcycle Driver Killed
- 7/6 Lewiston - Motorcycle Driver Killed
- 7/5 Lewiston - Motorcycle Driver Killed
- 6/22 Lewiston - Motorcycle Driver Killed
Accidents reported by the Idaho State Police can be found on their blog.