Why Should You Support St. Jude?
It's a question I hear a lot when I talk about St. Jude Children's Research Hospital: Why should I support a hospital in Memphis? The answer is simple. The researchers at St. Jude share all of their knowledge and cures with the world freely, and procedures they have pioneered are being used right here in the Magic Valley. Helping St. Jude means stopping cancer worldwide.
It costs $1.8 million a day to operate St. Jude, and public donations provide more than 70 percent of their funding. The support of caring people like you helps ensure that St. Jude Children's Research Hospital will continue its lifesaving mission of finding cures and saving children.
But the most important reason is, in the words of St. Jude founder Danny Thomas: "No child should die in the dawn of life."
How do your donations help?
- Thanks to donors, St. Jude families never pay for treatment not covered by insurance, and no child is ever denied treatment because of the family's inability to pay.
- Your donations also help St. Jude cover other costs a family typically incurs while their child is being treated at the hospital, including travel, housing and food.
- At St. Jude, donor dollars help fuel the groundbreaking research that leads to pioneering care and treatments for childhood cancer and other deadly diseases.
How is St. Jude making a difference for sick children?
- Every child saved at St. Jude means children saved around the world—a direct result of cutting-edge research and treatment that set the standard in treating childhood cancers. And our discoveries are shared freely with doctors and scientists all over the world.
- St. Jude developed protocols that have helped push overall survival rates for childhood cancers from less than 20 percent, when the hospital opened in 1962, to 80 percent today.
- St. Jude is the first and only pediatric cancer center to be designated as a Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute.
- St. Jude has embarked on an unprecedented effort to sequence the pediatric cancer genome and to identify the genetic changes that give rise to some of the world's deadliest childhood cancers.
How are donations used?
- During the past five years, 81 cents of every dollar received has supported the research and treatment at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
- St. Jude has been recognized as the top children's cancer hospital by U.S. News and World Report.
Donate now to help St. Jude save the lives of children in communities everywhere.