Tips for Sticking to Your New Year’s Resolutions
We have all made new resolutions with the best of intentions only to fail a few weeks, or a few months later. Hopefully, your New Years resolutions will go a lot better this year. Here are some tips to help you achieve your goals.
1. Only make one resolution. Don't stretch yourself too thin by trying to change every little thing you think is wrong. You have a better chance of sticking to a resolution when you focus on just ONE thing.
2. Don't pick a resolution you've failed at in the past. If you make a resolution to go to the gym every day, year after year, and it NEVER happens, choose something else. Continually re-doing a past resolution just sets you up for frustration and failure.
3. Create mini goals. Break your resolution into smaller steps, and make mini goals that you can celebrate along the way.
4. Write down your achievements. Keep a handwritten journal or track the progress you've made on your phone or computer.
5. Treat yourself. Give yourself a small reward whenever you reach a mini goal to keep yourself motivated.
6. Get support. Tell your friends and family about your goals . . . they can give you support when you're thinking about giving up.
7. Expect that you'll slip up. You'll revert to your old habits from time to time, but treat it as a temporary setback rather than a reason to give up altogether. (Mirror)