Ten Things That Shorten Your Life
Here are 10 things you're doing that might be SHORTENING your life.
1. You're single. Being single all by itself doesn't shorten your life. But Studies show that being single for extended periods of time could shave a decade off your lifespan.
2. You sit for long periods of time. Researchers found that if you sit for over three hours a day, you're cutting a few years off your lifespan. And the numbers go up the more hours you spend sitting.
3. You don't have a lot of friends. People with weak social connections die at higher rates. Experts found that being lonely can be as bad for your health as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. It doesn't say anything about people who don't have a lot of friends but prefer being alone. I wonder if that makes a difference?
4. You watch a lot of TV. This is bad news for binge-watchers over age 25. Every hour of TV you watch supposedly reduces your lifespan by 21 minutes. So go ahead and watch an entire season of Orange is the New Black this weekend and do the math.
5. You eat unhealthy. Obviously. Good luck trying to figure out what's healthy. There are a million 'experts' on the subject and twice as many diets.
6. You're unemployed. Not having a job can increase your risk of premature death by 63%.
7. You're not intimate enough. No physical contact means you're 50% more likely to die than someone who's in a happy, and physically healthy marriage.
8. You put up with annoying co-workers. People with strong social support at work from their other co-workers tend to live longer.
9. Your sleep is messed up. If you get less than five hours or more than nine hours, your life expectancy goes down. The magic number seems to
10. You fear death. (Don't we all - Just a little?) The fear of a shortened lifespan is called "thanatophobia" . . . and it can actually cause you to have a shortened lifespan.