Nine Healthier Alternatives For Your Cinco de Mayo Celebration
If you're planning to celebrate Cinco de Mayo today, you can kiss your diet goodbye. But if you insist on sticking to your fitness goals you can just switch out a few things here and there. Here's a list of nine healthier choices for Cinco de Mayo.
1. Shredded cabbage for lettuce. It doesn't save calories, but it's much more nutritious.
2. Fish for ground beef. You can keep the meaty texture in your tacos, but with lower calories and less cholesterol.
3. Low-fat cheese instead regular cheese. Honestly, with all the stuff that goes into a taco, you'll hardly notice.
4. Raw jalapeno peppers instead of pickled peppers. You can save on the sugar and sodium that get added to most pickled vegetables.
5. Homemade guacamole instead of store-bought. Again, much, much less sodium.
6. Whole wheat tortillas. They provide some extra fiber and protein over the processed white flour versions.
7. Whole beans instead of refried. Most brands of canned refried beans have a lot of sodium and fat.
8. Homemade pico de gallo instead of salsa. You save big on the sodium. Two tablespoons of a typical store-bought salsa can have up to 250 milligrams of sodium, which is 10% of your recommended daily limit.
9. Light beer instead of regular. You save about 50 calories per can. ABC News