Brad Paisley, Blake Shelton + More Contribute to Doobie Brothers Country Covers Album
The Doobie Brothers are teaming up with some big artists to get a little country for a new release.
‘Southbound,’ a country Doobie Brothers covers album, is set to be released on Nov. 4, and comes packed with a big list of country stars on board. Blake Shelton, Toby Keith, Brad Paisley and Zac Brown Band are just a few people on the roster.
Musician David Huff tracked down the classic rock band, and they started pitching the idea of a country covers album. Gary Overton at Sony decided it was perfect, and gave them the green light. Huff produced the album, and let the artists have their pick of Doobie Brothers songs to cover.
“It’s a best-of, if you will, but it’s re-done by incredible Nashville players in the studio, who were incredibly good and fast,” guitarist Tom Johnston tells Lagniapple Mobile. “We had three guitar players going at one time, and Michael McDonald playing keyboard on his tunes. So, we would go in and cut the track using one or two takes, and it was done. It had guitars, drums, bass and pedal-steel and it was phenomenal. I’ve never done anything like that before, and I was just blown away at how efficient and good they were.”
He adds, “Then, we had the artists themselves come in. Most of the time, we weren’t there to witness their performances. I was in L.A. when Blake Shelton did his performance. I got to see Chris Young do the vocal on the song he did. So, it’s been an interesting project and having heard the results, I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised.”
The Doobie Brothers, ‘Southbound’ Track Listing:
1. ‘Black Water’ with Zac Brown Band
2. ‘China Grove’ with Chris Young
3. ‘Jesus Is Just Alright’ with Casey James
4. ‘Listen to the Music’ with Blake Shelton, Hunter Hayes on guitar
5. ‘Long Train Runnin” with Toby Keith
6. ‘Nobody’ with Charlie Worsham
7. ‘Rockin’ Down the Highway’ with Brad Paisley
8. ‘South City Midnight Lady’ with Jerrod Niemann
9. ‘Take Me in Your Arms (Rock Me a Little While)’ with Tyler Farr
10. ‘Takin’ It to the Streets’ with Love and Theft
11. ‘What a Fool Believes’ with Sara Evans
12. ‘You Belong to Me’ with Johnnyswim’s Amanda Sudano Ramirez, Vince Gill on guitar