Astronomy Talk – Scottish Games – Car Show This Weekend at CSI
Chris Anderson is our Friday Guest on the Morning Show. Chris has a way of making all things scientific fun for the rest of us. If you’re looking for some fun, affordable, family stuff to do this weekend, check out some of the events this weekend at the College of Southern Idaho.
Astronomy Talk, Friday, May 6th, 8:15 PM
- “Mercury, Close-up” (early results from the MESSENGER probe, Mercury’s first artificial satellite, which began orbiting Mercury on 3/17)
- Admission: $2.50 adults, $1.50 students
- Telescope viewing follows the talk ($1.50 per person, or free with talk or planetarium admission)
International Astronomy Day, Saturday, May 7th
- Doors open at 10:00 AM
- Water bottle rockets, make-n-take, coloring pages in the Rick Allen Room (admission $1 per person)
- Free solar viewing in the observatory (weather permitting)
- “Cosmic Café” (Hoagie Street Deli)
- Evening star party, 8:45 PM to midnight (weather permitting)
Primitive Skills classes for adults (and children 12+ when accompanied by an adult)
- Native Plant Identification and Usage (5/10 & 5/13) – $20
- Designer Deerskin (5/24, 5/27, & 5/28) – $50
- More coming throughout the summer (Stone & Bone, Beginning/Intermediate Flintknapping, Pump Drills, Atlatls, Firemaking)
NASA Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Teacher’s Workshop (6/20 – 6/24)
- For 6th-12th grade teachers
- Free (no credit) or $158 (for 2 credits)
- Applications still being accepted
- Check Herrett web site or call Darcy Thornborrow (732-6664)
Other Events This Weekend
- The Scottish Highland Games are this Saturday starting at 9 a.m. on the north side of campus. This is where a bunch of guys in kilts heave ridiculously heavy items and large poles through the air. Bagpipes, Celtic dancing, food for sale – good times. Free of charge.
- The CSI Car Show is at the Expo Center this Saturday 10-10 and Sunday 10-5. Admission is $5 for adults, $3 for seniors, and $2 for kids. This is put on by students in CSI’s Automotive and Auto Body programs.
- 24 Hours of Fitness starts at midnight tonight and goes to midnight tomorrow. 24 1-hour sessions of all kinds of fun and fitness – you pay whatever you want to donate to the Relay for Life Cancer Fundraiser. It’s at the CSI Rec Center.
- The annual Spring Welding Auction is this Saturday at 1 p.m. in the CSI Desert Building Welding Lab. A great assortment of nicely crafted metal decorations and functional items, all made by CSI welding students