A TIE FOR OBAMA AND ROMNEY IN THE FIRST ELECTION RESULTS
CNN reports their is a tie in the first election results.
- President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney, each received five votes in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire just after midnight.
- Dixville Notch attracts national media attention for being the first place in the country to make its presidential preferences known every four years.
- The town, which is located in the northeast corner of New Hampshire, has opened its polls shortly after midnight each election day since 1968.
- Today’s tie was the first in its history.
- The town, which is home to about a dozen residents, has two registered Democrats, three Republicans and five independents.
- Since 1996, another small New Hampshire town – Hart’s Location – reinstated its practice from the 1940s and also began opening its polls at midnight. The result there? Obama 23; Romney 9
- The results from Dixville are not usually used to determine how the rest of the state of nation will vote during the day.